Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sonofabitchsky@hotmail.com is offline

Default foundation or slab

mark henderson wrote:
Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh

When you say utility building, do you mean thin sheet metal shed, or do
you mean framed 2x4 walls, drywall, etc? If its just a metal shed type
a 4" thick slab with a exterior footing 6" into grade(10" overall)
with some 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the slab and a #4 rebar around the
footing will be ok. If you mean a real framed/roofed building, I would
make the footings 12" into grade, a #4 rebar top and bottom all the way
around the footing and you can still use 6x6/10x10 wire mesh in the 4"
thick slab.