Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lowes window installation experience

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

The
measurements the installer takes are good for I think a year, so you
can just order the windows any time without having another measurement
done.

Good for a year? What happes to your house after a year. Does it shrink or
expand? Almost sounds like a sale pressure gimmick.

I'm sure that's part of it. Another part is probably just that they
don't want to be liable if your house has settled over that year and
thrown the measurements out of whack. I'm sure there's some margin of
error built in, but just for example, I was concerned that we weren't
even going to be able to get replacement windows (and that we'd need
new construction) because the wall containing one of our bay windows
had settled to the point where the old window wouldn't completely
close, and wouldn't lock at all, because of the slant in the sill. The
installer said not to worry about it, and he did obviously get the new
window in there. I know that an 83 year old house is probably not
going to settle any further, but Lowes probably doesn't want to take
that chance.