Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Lowes window installation experience

wrote:
dpb wrote:
What the web site says is nothing but advertising --

...which is legally binding in the state of New York.

what does the
_contract_ say? You did read the contract, didn't you?

Contract doesn't say anything. Doesn't have to if the web site does in
this state.

I thought that an interesting take, so did some looking...

From the NY CPB (Consumer Protection Board) web site

"Under New York law, all contracts with an underlying value of $500 or
more must be in writing, or they are not binding on the parties. ..."

I couldn't find any specific reference to a NY State law making any
internet posting an enforceable contract although I'm sure there are
some requirements under "false advertising" rules.

I'm not sure you're understanding the definition of "trim" in this
case.

Interior window trim in an old Colonial is wood built into plaster
walls. Replacing it would basically be the same as getting new
construction windows. Easy and cheap enough to do if you're talking
drywall and what passes for new construction window openings these days
(which often includes no trim at all), but when you're talking about
ripping down plaster, ripping out all that wood, re-plastering the
walls and building a new window opening in the same style as the old
using newly-cut and molded wood built to custom sizes, you're talking
thousands *more* dollars.

I've seen a lot of old colonials while living in VA and done
restorations/repair/refurbishment in a number of them. None have
required a complete destruction of existing plaster other than very
localized repair to fix/repair windows and door trims. I'm sure there
are circumstances possible that I've not run into, however, and I did
think you were talking exterior, not interior, however.

How difficult to repair/replace or even the desirability of doing so on
the interior is/would be dependent on what is actually there and the
value of the property and why it is currently so far out-of-square. If
it is actually of historical value, then the act of "repairing" it may
well be desecration, not repair. If, otoh, it is simply and old house
and the problem is one of settling or other symptoms of aging, then it
may well be the proper thing to do. I was also, however, assuming work
would be done in moderation and consideration of existing work, not a
blanket tear-out and rebuild w/ new material--that would be
self-defeating in an old house. In virtually all instances I've been
involved with, it has been a careful removal of existing work and
repair/replace/reconstruction using period materials as much as
possible and certainly rematching profiles, styles, etc. If this all
has to be done by hiring it out, yes, it would be expensive.