Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Portable drill

In article , postmaster@
127.0.0.1 says...
Rich256 wrote in
:

John Lynch wrote:
After years of thinking I can get along without one, I've decided to
buy a portable drill. What should I look for? Volts, Amps or what?
Sears has one going on sale for $70. The ad says it has 14.4 volts.
It doesn't mention amp. I want one that I'll be satisfied with.

I've had a Makita 9.6/12V for about 10 years. The batteries are
going so I bought a 14.4V Porter Cable. Love it! The Makita
rarely gets used anymore so I can save what's left of the batteries
for the 3-5/8" cut-off saw and right angle drill that take the same
battery.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Or if you want to try one and see how it works, Harbor Freight has an
18 volt one for $20. Extra battery for $10.

I have a store about a mile away so often look at their stuff.

Rich:

There is one near me as well. Never bought anything there. I'm sure
you've picked up winners and losers. How about naming a few of each?

The above drill is a *LOSER*. I bought a couple just to bang up.
They weren't worth the shipping.

Winners: the 10" compound miter saw. One friend didn't like his so
there may be a differing quality issue. Chip brushes, Nitrile
gloves. $5 multi-meters.

I get the feeling HF purchases end up being either you got what you paid
for or plain old lucky.

There's a lot of that. ;-)

--
Keith