Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.home.automation
E. Lee Dickinson E. Lee Dickinson is offline

Default Using the Sewer Vent for Cable or Cat5e Run?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to figure out the best path, other than drilling and the
time consuming process of fishing/drilling through floors, to get a RG6
cable and Cat5e cable from my attic to my basement.

I have heard that you can run plenium Cat5 down environmental vents
without any issues. The sewer vent runs from the attic to the basement
and is the only direct path I can see. The pipe is 2" and is used for
my sump pump in the basement. I was going to cut the pipe and use a 45
degree capped splitter for the wires in the basement to avoid drilling
ugly holes directly in the pipe.

One thing to try first, (I can't answer your question directly as I don't
know) -- Some of my plumbing pipes have enough room around them to trop a
line down the outside of them, between the pipe and the floors they
penetrate. We used a chain tied to the end of fishin line as a weight to
drop straight down through the holes. It took a few shots, but we got it.