Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lowes window installation experience

TakenEvent wrote:
There is a chance that the subcontractors are not responsible for hauling
away the old windows. Perhaps Lowe's has someone else who specifically
deals with that sort of thing.

Possible, but my wife asked him about it and he said to just put
everything out in the garbage and they'll take it away. That might be
true (our garbage guys do seem to basically take anything), but it's
not what it says on the web site. I would think he would at least know
if there was someone else from Lowes that was going to come and take
the stuff away.

It sounds as though you should look into getting a contractor out to your
house to deal with some other issues as well. Gaps in the siding around
your windows can potentially lead to thousands of dollars worth of water
damage.

This was really the only problem area, and we'd known we were going to
have new windows installed since we moved in anyway, so we were hoping
it'd be fixed at that point. I wasn't sure, and thought I might have
to have the siding patched, but the window guys did what I'd hoped
they'd do.

Stain the windows if it'll look good. You wanted wood, you might as well be
able to enjoy it. The painters won't protest your lack of interest in
paint.

I looked again last night, and I think we gotta paint... staining would
just look too odd with our out of square trim (the windows themselves
are square, so it'd make the whole window opening look even more out of
shape), and I obviously can't stain the caulk that's between the new
window and the trim. So I guess I'll just paint. It's fine, though;
they'll totally match the look of our original windows, one of which is
still in each of the two rooms we had done. And I need to paint the
trim anyway; it's pretty ugly and old looking at the moment. So I
might have ended up just painting everything regardless.