Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default Cherry kitchen island...almost done (photos)

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Really nice work! I have a question: what accounts for the different
tones on the cherry? Sold wood vs. plywood? or did you finish them
differently?
Eric

Thanks.
The drawer fronts are solid cherry frames, with 1/4 cherry ply panels. They
were different colours to begin with, and after oiling as well, but I really
like the contrast, as opposed to a wall of uniforn tone.
The side panel is birch ply, and doesn't match, but it will be covered by a
wine rack made from solid cherry. The edge banding on the ply cabinets was
ripped from cherry planks, but is mostly covered by the drawer fronts. The
shallow upper drawer fronts are soild cherry, and the center portions were
deliberately made from really dark heartwood.
Our floor is 3-1/2" birch, and I didn't want the business end of the cabinet
to be monotone, but rather play off tones in the floor. I'm in the middle of
building a 7' (my wife and I are both tall...) pull-out pantry, and it will
be done in the same selection of wood.
Perhaps this winter I'll attack the existing cabinets (hideous white
melamine) that the previous owner left us with.

As an interesting side note, when we moved in, the kitchen floor was almost
2" higher than it is now. I felt like Louis Leakey digging down through it.
There was a layer of that horrible, cheap snap-together floating floor,
complete with peeling foil, on top. Below it was a layer of 5/8 ply. Below
that were two layers of lino, each on 3/4 ply. Why tear up the floor when
you can just pile on another layer? There was some crappy moulding on the
step up into the kitchen. Three guys, three circular saws, three crowbars,
and a lot of beer made short work of it.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo