Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dembroge Mike Dembroge is offline

Default Variance in Plywood thickness-rant

I've used dados and rabbets on all of the cabinets I've done so far. No butt
joints. I think this is relevant because I take up the "slop" in these
joints. For example, let's say I have a dado that I draw as 1/4" deep,
leaving 1/2" of meat in the sheet that gets the dado. This works in the
drawing if you draw the sheets at 3/4" thick. However, in the actual
cabinet, I would cut it a little less deep so that there is still a true
1/2" of thickness remaining, and thus the overall dimension of the cabinet
remains true to the design. Does this make sense? So far, I've been able to
build my projects according to the plans without worrying about the
thickness variance of the plywood.

"Wayne K" wrote in message
. ..
I really don't have problems, just irritations, My dad always said, "if it
fits on paper scaled down, it should fit in real life." He was a well
respected tool & die maker. He also designed, or modified many of the
machines in the plant where he worked using his drafting and machining
skills.
So when I am doing a scale drawing I really want it to measure out when
adding up the dimensions. Lest I feel the smack on the back of me head.
When you use autocad, I take it you have to compensate for your overall
height and width, even though it may be less than 1/32"?
I realize the difference may be negligible, and we are working with a
medium that is difficult to keep exact dimensions, but it is still
irritating to me.

"Mike Dembroge" wrote in message
m...
Wayne,
I design everything in AutoCAD as well, but I just draw everything as
3/4"stock and haven't had a problem. Can you elaborate on the specifics
of the problems you've had? I'm curious.

[snip]