Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default foundation or slab

you should remove the topsoil, as any organic material will settle over
time. then, your slab should have a thickened edge. 10" is required
where I live, with 2 1/2" rebar around the perimeter. does it freeze
where you live? then you should add a layer of well drained sand under
the slab too.

mark henderson wrote:
Hi, maybe someone here can answer my quick question. I want to build a small
utility building 8' x 12'. Is it necessary to dig a footer, lay block and
pour concrete, or can I simply frame out some 2 x 12's and pour it on the
existing ground? Ground is very stable and somewhat flat. I live in South
Carolina, lot of red clay type soil. Thanks for any help here.

markh