Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Default Best Bandsaw under $500?

I agree with slahdev. I bought the Sears also and it is far better than most
I've found in that price range. I know a lot of people don't care for Sears
BUT the price ...service... and most of all the quality are there in the
22401
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm thinking of buying a bandsaw, mostly for resaw work, but possibly for
cutting tenons and whatnot as well...

Are there any less expensive bandsaws that are worth the money?

From last week:

After shopping for a new BS in the same price range, I chose on the
Craftsman 14" model 22401. I *believe* it's actually made by Rikon --
even the stickers on the doors are the same. With a cast iron table
and wheels (reduced vibration, increased stability), 8" resaw
capability (thickness), a 1HP induction motor (very quiet), and roller
guide bearings (instead of blocks), you'd have to spend a lot more for
anything else that's comparable. I've used mine quite a bit to make
veneers, bent laminations and panels. A *lot* nicer than the $99 Delta
9" wobble-monster I was using.

Some people bought this saw this weekend for an unbelievable $319.
YMMV. You can also find recent discussions on http://www.woodnet.net
Search for "+bandsaw +sears" in the Power Tools forum.