Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Portable drill

John Lynch wrote:
After years of thinking I can get along without one, I've decided to buy a
portable drill. What should I look for? Volts, Amps or what? Sears has
one going on sale for $70. The ad says it has 14.4 volts. It doesn't
mention amp. I want one that I'll be satisfied with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Consumer reports tests is always a good place to look, of course. but
anyway
Amps doesn't come into the picture in cordless, it's all volts. Home
use tends to be around 12-14.4; more volts gives you more muscle but
are heavier which can be important when working overhead; of course the
converse also holds. So you can heft them and see what you would be
comfortable with for whatever you plan to be doing.
Those really little ones you see on the market now all of a sudden
(with brand names) tend to be useless, according to the CR testers.