Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Shelf life of plaster

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:20:04 -0400, Keith Williams
wrote:

:In article ,
says...
:
:snip
:
: Thanks for the post. I cut open the bags last week and put the plasters
: in plastic bags, fairly thick ones mostly. But I got the idea shortly
: thereafter to use some plastic buckets I have. These aren't 5 gallon
: buckets but food service buckets I got from a fast food place. They gave
: them to me free. They had 10 lb. potato salad in them and I got them
: with the tops. I have 13 of them now, and can get an unlimited supply in
: the future for free (I made an arrangement with another source.
:
:Nice. I buy them at the BORG. Free is better. ;-)
:
: I presume they will be air tight, but I think your admonisions are
: advisable - dessicant and testing. I would never have thought of the
: dessicant, and I wouldn't have done the testing without your suggestion.
: However, like you say, it's really important that I not invest time and
: materials into repairs that turn out to be crap.
:
:Not to mention the work to tear out crap.
:
: Great ideas with the old pill bottles. I have a bunch of them, been
: saving them for some good use, and this is sure one. Thanks again.
:
:It is a good idea. I may have a little grout and thinset to do
:this with.
:
: PS: Anyone know where I can get calcium chloride in quantity
: economically? Thanks!
:
:The better sidewalk/driveway ice melter is calcium chloride (read
:the container, NaCl isn't a desicant). You should be able to find
:it for $12is for a 50lb bag at the BORG or a bit more at a hardware
:store. It's also available (for a lot more $$) at grocery stores
:in the winter (too soon now :-( ).

What is the BORG? I'm in Berkeley, CA. A Google search on BORG doesn't
seem to come up with anything. Is it like Lowe's and Home Depot? Thanks.