Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default New lathe.. and I actually TURNED something

"Mike Mac" wrote in message
Anyone else have other suggestions as for pen finishes? I have a Turners
polish as well, but 1 hr between drying times.. maybe I need to be more
patient. :-)

Sort of like pipes, really. The ultimate finish is the oil from your hand.
For grain fills, I'd go with a sanding slurry with some high-solids oil
based finish. Sand across the grain let it cure, sand gently and finally
with the grain until the surface is dull. Then buff with oil and maybe some
rottenstone. The wax binders in rouge and Tripoli are dirt catchers.

I say this in spite of the fact that the best finishes I've seen are CA.
Probably fairly durable, maybe renewable.