Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default Musing about a collaborative effort.

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:33:59 -0400, Arch wrote:

Is my crime so much different from buying a dried, saran wrapped, end
grain coated maple blank? You think?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Arch, the term "collaborative" implies, to me, the informed consent of all
parties concerned. I'm not sure it applies in the circumstance you
delineated.

The way I see matters the original turner has no further affiliation with
that bowl. To him / her it is 'finished product'. To most of the
purchasers of that bowl it is also 'finished product' ... just as firewood
is generally classified as being 'finished product'. But there is a group
of people to whom 'finished product' is no more than an intermediate step
in a larger process.

I would consider such a bowl analogous to a piece of firewood plucked from
the stack that is just further along in its processing ... but not yet
done. It is 'done' when I finish with it ... even if my customer decides
to embellish it further.

Relax. Grab another piece of raw material and turn, turn, turn! ;-)

Bill