Posted to rec.woodworking
todd todd is offline

Default Cherry kitchen island...almost done (photos)

"bob" wrote in message

"TBM" wrote in message

"bob" wrote in message
Well, I still have to add the toekicks, the back, and the countertop,
but the drawers and fronts are all done and installed for fit. A solid
cherry wine rack will cover the non-matching birch cabinet side.
Any ideas for countertop colour and/or material will be greatly
appreciated. We're thinking something in a charcoal hue, maybe with a
bit of speckle. Laminate? Slate? Granite? Dunno yet....

Comments more than welcome.

Decide on anything yet?

My wife and I looked at the thing sitting there, and both agreed that it
looks more beautiful than either of us had imagined. The cabinets and
drawer fronts looked great on their own in the shop, but once it was all
assembled (the cherry toekicks and back went on last night, and it's been
fastened to the floor and wall) we realized we could only do it justice by
emptying the piggybank for a really nice countertop.
I'm reading up on the relative pros and cons of granite, and apart from
the cost, it seems like a great bet. We'll probably price slate as well.

As suggested here, laminate isn't even in the picture. It would be a
horrible waste of effort and would only detract from the beauty of solid
cherry.

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

My personal opinion is that you can't go wrong with granite. The nice thing
is that you don't have a whole kitchen worth of cabinets to do. I don't see
where you gave the dimensions, but it looks to be roughly 6 feet long and 2
feet wide, which would make the top roughly12-ish square feet. I just
bought granite tops for my cabinets from a local granite shop at a bit under
$50/SF. My suggestion is to not buy these at a big box store. Find a local
stone guy. Had we bought our granite at Home Depot, it would have been
$80+/SF. For something the size you're looking at, they might even have a
piece "laying around" that they could make a deal on.

Good luck,

todd