Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Cat Flap in Wall

Will Owen wrote:

Hi,

I need to install a cat flap in my kitchen wall. It is a single skin brick
wall (1930s red brick) with plasterboard and insulation behind.

How easy is it to cut the hole out for this? I have some long masony drills
etc, but am unsure as to how much you knock out. i.e. can you drill holes
in a line through the brick to create the hole of the required size or do
you have to knock out the surrounding bricks and fill in around it
afterwards?

Apols for sounding like a novice, but have never had to do this before.

TIA

Will Owen

Your wall is liable to be soft brick and knackered lime mortar, and if
4" not scoring much on stability either. So go gently with the
chiselling. Wont be a prob as soft bricks are very soft.

Re larger walls with dual catflaps, creating a tunnel, this works fine
with some cats, but a lot will simply refuse to enter a small closed
tunnel.

NT