Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ground or neutral connection?

wrote in message

The lamp works if I attach the black wire from the wall, to the black
wire in the lamp - and the white wire from the lamp, to either the
copper or neutral wire in the wall. Which should I use from the wall -
white, or copper?

Thanks, I know this is a totally lame question... I appreciate the
help.

Short answer: use the white wire

Longer Answer: The white wire is part of hte electrical feed for power.
The bar wire is there to act as a ground. They may both seem to do the same
thing, but in actual function they differ. At times you see a green wire
for a ground. That goes tot he copper wire.

Wire is designated by numbers for both size and number of wires. 12-2 is 12
gauge and has two wires. 12-2 with ground has a black, white, and a bare
ground wire. 12-3 with ground has a black, white, red, and bare ground
wire.

Get a basic book on wiring to get a better understanding and you can learn
basic troubleshooting.