Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Default Ground or neutral connection?

In article .com,
says...

Hi folks,
I've been doing a lot of reading, but can't find the anwer to this.

I have a small lamp with 2 wires coming from it, black (hot) and white
(ground, I presume).

the spot in the wall where I want this to go, has 3 wires. Black (hot),
white (neutral), and copper (ground).

The lamp works if I attach the black wire from the wall, to the black
wire in the lamp - and the white wire from the lamp, to either the
copper or neutral wire in the wall. Which should I use from the wall -
white, or copper?

Thanks, I know this is a totally lame question... I appreciate the
help.

The wires from the lamp are hot (black) and neutral (white). Attach them to the
same wires from the wall. The ground wire (bare copper or green insulation) is
for safety only, not to carry normal current.
--
Dennis