Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Default Cherry kitchen island...almost done (photos)

"TBM" wrote in message

"bob" wrote in message
Well, I still have to add the toekicks, the back, and the countertop, but
the drawers and fronts are all done and installed for fit. A solid cherry
wine rack will cover the non-matching birch cabinet side.
Any ideas for countertop colour and/or material will be greatly
appreciated. We're thinking something in a charcoal hue, maybe with a bit
of speckle. Laminate? Slate? Granite? Dunno yet....

Comments more than welcome.

Decide on anything yet?

My wife and I looked at the thing sitting there, and both agreed that it
looks more beautiful than either of us had imagined. The cabinets and drawer
fronts looked great on their own in the shop, but once it was all assembled
(the cherry toekicks and back went on last night, and it's been fastened to
the floor and wall) we realized we could only do it justice by emptying the
piggybank for a really nice countertop.
I'm reading up on the relative pros and cons of granite, and apart from the
cost, it seems like a great bet. We'll probably price slate as well.

As suggested here, laminate isn't even in the picture. It would be a
horrible waste of effort and would only detract from the beauty of solid
cherry.

Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo