Mike Atkinson {reply address in .sig}

Default Fence panel sizes

In article , BillR
ventured...

Mike Atkinson {reply address in .sig} wrote:
I ask as I need to replace a fence which is about to collapse due to
the fence posts having rotted through. These posts are (were) located
in metal pegs, which I'd hoped to re-use, leaving them in their
current locations.

In my experience they are 6' i.e. 183cm for compatibilty with existing.
I don't understand how you propose to reuse the metal pegs. Are they the
Metpost type of thing?
If so this is one helluva job to clean out the old wood to put in new posts.
It is poss to get them out of the ground, as per metpost instructions, if
you can get a lever (e.g. old fence post) under the socket. I've done this
many times.

Thanks for the tip. I've no experience of this, so I had hoped to get
the old wood out. If I have to get the damn things out of the ground
then I might as well get new ones.

Your panels sound like an odd bunch. The problem is the original installer
will have placed the spikes against each panel as he went so they are custom
spaced.

Yeah, I'm coming to this conclusion. And as these panels are only
slightly shorter than the standard, it means I *will* have to get the
old pegs out of the ground.

Feather edge boards are nailed to triangular arris rails which are mortised
into the posts or you can get metal arris rail support brackets which don't
look as nice.

The catalogue I have also has wooden posts with V notches, presumably
for these rails. (They also have the mortised version.) One possible
advantage of this route is that I can space the posts slightly more than
6 ft apart, and so wouldn't have to get the old pegs out of the ground.

Are the old panels not repairable at all?

One maybe, the rest not - they've been flexing for too long (post has
been completely free for a few weeks now.

--
Dr. Michael Atkinson, GeoQuest Simulation Software Development
Note that email address in the headers is cleared monthly and NOT read.