Ryan

Default Question about cutting threads with die

Thanks Roger Shoaf, that makes sense. I need to make it 5/16 x 32. Sounds
like that might workout because the diameter of the rod is .311 right now.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
The diameter of the rod should be the nominal dimension of the thread. So
if you wanted to cut 1/4 x 20 threads you would start with a 1/4" rod. In
actual practice the diameter of the rod should be a few thousandths of an
inch smaller than the nominal dimension.

What size threads do you need to cut?

--
Roger Shoaf

"Ryan" wrote in message
I have a small job that requires threads be cut on the OD of a round

rod.
have looked all around for a chart that indicates the outside diameter a

rod
should be when using a die to cut threads. Something along the lines of

tap drill chart, but for dies? Any takers?

TIA - Ryan