Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Shelf life of plaster

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:29:41 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

an_Musicant writes:
:
: The problem is that I'm uncertain if these containers will indeed be air
: tight or not.
:
:Putting a dessicant in a leaky or permeable container just lengthens the
:time the interior stays dry. Eventually the dessicant saturates and
:becomes inert. In the case of a deliquescent like calcium chloride, it
:turns into a nasty, corrosive goo. Thus the advantages to silica gel or
:molecular sieves.

I've spent an hour or two trying to locate CaCl2 hereabouts, but not
done well. The pool supply places say they don't carry it and most are a
ways from me, anyway.

Chemical supply places are too expensive. I did find one that will sell
me 50 lb. for around $55 including tax, so that's a possibility. But 50
lb. seems like a lot and I'll have to store IT somehow so it stays dry!!
Pretty funny, in a way. I found some on eBay, 5 lb. for around $22
shipped. Maybe I'll do that. The CaCl2 is $10, the shipping $12. Or 10
lb. for around $32. I guess if I can keep it dry, it might be a good
investment.