Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Hoisting a Keg using Garage Ceiling

satellite_chris writes:

How do I attach the SuperStrut to the joists or are you suggesting just
letting it lay there?

Lay it crosswise with the C opening up. No attachment needed unless you
expect a lot of sideways forces. The 1/2" threaded rod goes vertically
down through the gypsum board ceiling, and lightly secures the assembly in
place. Run a nut and washer up to the bottom of the ceiling from below,
and in the attic you have a washer and nut on top, so the pair of nuts on
the rod are acting as a weakly tightened (a little more than finger-tight)
clamp that holds the strut down in the attic.

You weakly tighten so as to avoid cracking the gypsum board. Under load
the clamp loosens so you don't crack the gypsum board. If you start to see
a gap between the washer and ceiling, you know you have a load that's
starting to bend the joists. But in my applications I've lifted 500 to 800
lbs without even loosening the hand-tight clamping.