Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Deck Stain Experiences, Advice and Questions

On 6 Sep 2006 09:51:29 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
On 5 Sep 2006 20:52:00 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 5 Sep 2006 15:59:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ether
Jones" quickly quoth:

NJLauri wrote:

Also, they recommend 2 coats [of CWF-UV], but the second MUST be applied
after the first coat soaks in, but while it is still wet.

Do you have any idea _why_?

What happens if you apply the second coat after the first has dried?

Chemical crosslinking has to happen during a certain curing period or
it doesn't happen.

Makes sense.

But I'm wondering why the same advice doesn't apply to this gallon of
porch and floor latex paint I've been using. They want me to wait a
full 24 hours before applying a second coat. By that time, the stuff
is dry and hard enough to walk on.

It's still not really cured, though, as will be obvious if you
use a white primer and a colored topcoat... It takes over
a week for the paint to get hard enough to move furniture on.

I believe you. But why does it require that I wait 24 hours to apply
second coat? In other words, why not 4 hours? or 7 days?

My GUESS is that if the undercoat is too soft, you'll smear it while
trying to put the overcoat on. You want the primer to cure enough
to stay put, but soft enough to bind to the second coat. And if they
said "wait 4 hours", you *KNOW* you'd be trying to go at 2....