Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default Wrinkle in carpet - restretching needed, or something worse?

Hi all
we have a long, thin living room - about 6m by 3m. About half of
this comprises of an rearward extension to the house that was put up
before we moved in (1960s ex-council house, on a slope in Brighton).

About five years ago we had the room re-carpeted. IIRC we had decent
underlay put down at the same time. It's been fine since.

I've recently noticed a 'wrinkle', in the carpet, at about the midway
point, ie. roughly dividing the carpet into two 3m x 3m areas. It's
only slight, but given that this marks the point at which the extension
begins, it's got me a little concerned.

Is it likely that the carpet was not originally stretched enough, has
gone a bit 'baggy', and now needs re-stretching? Does this often
happen? I'm slightly concerned that, given the hot summer followed by
recent torrential rain, there might have been some subsidence of the
extension, which the carpet is showing up.

Your thoughts very welcome

Cheers
Jon N