Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Aluminum Wireing

wrote:
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:48:37 -0500, Bud--
wrote:

The only fix recommended by the CPSC is using special COPALUM high
pressure crimp connections which can only be done by a trained
electrician using a special tool; quite expensive if you can even find
the electrician.

There is a new device that is as good or better than Copalum and does
not require special tools and training.
http://www.kinginnovation.com/products/alumiconn.html

Also bear in mind the inspect-ny site is a home inspector site with
the major intent of driving down the purchase price of homes.

It is comforting that you know the intent of the site.

Most of these scary stories are 20-30 years old. I think if your
aluminum wired home is not having problems it probably won't if you
don't screw with it. These problems were usually traced to bad
workmanship by the original installer or homeowner intervention.

Last time I looked, the "home inspector" site was almost entirely
information that came from the CPSC investigation of 15 and 20 Amp
branch circuit connections. That included extensive testing of aluminum
wire connections. I know of no other extensive tests. One finding was
that 'properly' made aluminum connections could fail. Since the CPSC
tried to force a recall of aluminum wire, they must have thought their
research was adequate as a basis for the recall and able to withstand
the inevitable lawsuit. (The court found, in the inevitable lawsuit,
that aluminum wire was not a "consumer product" and could not be
regulated by the CPSC.)

don't like aluminum on "binding screw" devices but I also think there
is a lot of hype in the legend. There is no problem at all in aluminum
in a "barrel and set screw" type lug. In fact most of the lugs are
aluminum alloys themselves. They actually test better with aluminum
wire than with copper.

My understanding is that connectors for large aluminum wire deform the
wire (with screw or crimp) which breaks the aluminum oxide layer. That
is not likely with wirenuts or "binding screws". The AlumiConn
connectors look like they would also deform the wire and break the oxide
without other prep. Looks interesting.

bud--