Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default New lathe.. and I actually TURNED something

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:52:36 -0400, "Mike Mac" wrote:

Thanks for the sanding advice.. I'm noticing mine do need a bit of work..

I do have a question for you and/or the group...

One of the things frustrating me right now is working with wood that has a
more open grain.. the sawdust from sanding seems to accumulate in the
grain, and I'm wondering if theres a good way to get it out..?

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask, Mike... I LIKE the sawdust in the grain.. *g*

I wet sand a lot of my pens with Danish Oil and let the slurry fill the cracks,
gaps and grain...

If you're worried about it and don't want to blow the dust out, an inexpensive
solution can be to buy or make a bunch or "tack rags"...

It would seem that you'd want to eventually fill the open grain though, right?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis