Posted to rec.woodworking
Art Greenberg Art Greenberg is offline

Default DeWalt Planer

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:46:06 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Well, I use the planer-knife jig on my Tormek...

Which I'm sure makes that job fast and fairly easy.

I've been thinking about getting something like that. I have been waiting for
a real need, though. I've been sharpening my few hand tools on stones and
sandpaper.

Wet-or-dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass should give you a good flat
surface for honing a straight edge. Up to you to figure out how to hold the
blade without cutting your fingers :-) but I think a simple wooden jig
ought to do just fine.

Indeed. The double-sided blade makes a holder of some sort imperative. Seems
like something worthwhile for which to use some scraps of hard maple, a few
machine screws, washers, and wing nuts.

I should think it matters a *lot*.

I couldn't think of why it would not. Thought maybe you knew something I
didn't.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net