Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default DeWalt Planer

In article , lid wrote:
On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:30:26 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

Before you do that... try honing the ones you have now. I'm on (I think)
the fourth re-sharp on the *first* set of blades in my DW735 that I've had
for over two years.

I could try that - nothing to loose. But how to keep the edge straight?

Well, I use the planer-knife jig on my Tormek...

Wet-or-dry sandpaper on a piece of plate glass should give you a good flat
surface for honing a straight edge. Up to you to figure out how to hold the
blade without cutting your fingers :-) but I think a simple wooden jig ought
to do just fine.

Or does that not matter very much?

I should think it matters a *lot*.

--