Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Kitchen Door front bid

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message

I have to submit a bid for a client to make new doors for her kitchen
cabinets and am having a hard time knowing where to start.

Are you doing this for profit, and how many doors?

I've tried every way to beat the door shops at this game; from doing it all
myself; to having them mill the parts with me doing the cutting and
assembly; to them milling, cutting and me assembling; to me just helping; to
finally accepting that most are set up to build a more consistent set of
doors, with more styles to choose from, at a cheaper price, and a damn sight
faster.

Personally, I would bid the job as GC, sub-contracting the doors and drawer
fronts out, and doing the finishing and installation. If you are doing this
for profit, you stand a chance of actually making money by doing so.

Although I would definitely find a local shop that specializes in doors,
there are a plethora of door companies selling their wares at competitive
prices on the Internet. However you decide to proceed, browsing the latter
would be a good start in working up your bid.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06