Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Hoisting a Keg using Garage Ceiling

On 5 Sep 2006 18:21:03 GMT, John 'Shaggy' Kolesar
wrote:

On 5 Sep 2006 11:08:31 -0700, wrote:
To save my back when lifting half barrels on and off my pickup truck I
am trying to rig a hoist. I am planning to run a 2x6 across several
joists attached via lag bolts in my garage with a heavy duty eye hook
in the center. I will then use a 500lb capacity chain hoist connected
to the 2x6, connected to a custom bracket that fits between the handles
on the keg. The keg will only be suspended by the hook for a couple
minutes at most to give time to either pull the truck out when
unloading a keg, or pull the truck underneath the keg when loading.
In both cases it will be cranked up just enough to hover a couple
inches above the truck bed and then be lowered to the floor. The full
weight of a full 1/2 barrel is about 160lbs.

Does anyone see any reason to be concerned with the structure of the
home? The joists are the bottom of trusses in the attic that support
the roof.

I don't know, but I'm not a structural engineer. However, have you thought
about using an engine hoist? They're designed to handle much more weight
than just a keg, and are not that expensive. The only question would be
whether the engine hoist would be able to lift the keg high enough to
get it in the back of your truck.

Sort of a good idea, but there still remains the question, how can he
attach the engine hoist to the frame of the house, so that the frame
can support everything? That the engine hoist can hold everything
below it, and one person can raise the engine or keg doesn't lessen
the weight on the frame of the house, above it.

John.