Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Williams Andrew Williams is offline

Default workbench dimensions

In article . com,
Oughtsix wrote:

When I was growing up my highschool had 5' x 9' butcher block benches
with a wood vise on every corner. Those were the best benches I ever
worked on. My bench is 10' x 30" made out of fir tounge & grove
flooring with hardboard on top. I wish it were a little flatter! How
wide of a planer or wide belt sander can you gain access to?

I flattened the top by building it in 4 sections and running them
through my router planing jig. After all 4 were completed I connected
them with threaded rods and then handplaned the surface to as flat as I
could get it.