Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default workbench dimensions

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I see that many workbenches are about 24 inches wide. Some are 21 wide.
Since I am planning to build one what size is better of is it simple to say
"bigger is better" and go with a big as practical?

SHORT VERSION

Have posted a drawing of a bench base that you can easily build
using
2x4s, 2x6s, ply and some all thread, washers and nuts in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A woodworking bench has two main functions - to act as a versatile
giant
clamp and as a flat reference surface/assembly surface/ solid surface
to pound/ hack and hew on things sitting on it.

On the other hand, a layout /assembly bench, while sharing the
woodworking
bench's flat reference surface / assembly surface, doesn't need to
act
a a versatile giant clamp. It may also be used as a finishing
platform.

Then there's the "hybrid" which has some of the features of both but,
as is often the case with multi-function things, does neither
function
as well as a dedicated bench.

That said, it's ironic that it's much easier to build a real
woodworking
bench - IF you already have a real woodworking bench. You can make
a real woodworking bench using a hybrid bench - and most of us who've
made a real woodworking bench built it on a hybrid.

As for "the bigger the better" - that was the advice a cabinet maker
friend suggested when I first got into woodworking. Of course, he
only
makes ply and face frame stuff and works with 4x8 sheet goods
primarily.
SO - my first bench was 4' 3" x 7' 6", including the 2x6 apron.
Top's
2 layers of glued and screwed 1 1/8" ply with replacable 1/4"
melamine
top layer which got waxed regularly to keep glue - and finishes -
from
sticking to it.

But a big bench has lots of hidden disadvantages. First, you have to
walk around it to get to other things in the shop. Second, being a
large flat surface - above floor level - it collects crap at an
astounding
rate. Third, it encourages not finishing things. My old bench has
two
of one of my sons' projects occupying most of it. One of those
projects is cose to two years old and the other is going on 6 months.
(though the pictures on this page illustrate my point, this is just
one
on the many configurations of crap that has accumulated on this
bench)

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...mblyBench.html

Fourth - the tool you need to get immediately - while you're holding
some parts together - will invariably be on the far side of the bench
relative to where you're standing. Unless you've got orangutan arms,
that's a problem.

AS for something on which to assembly a piece - well if you think
about
it, not much you're going to make is much deeper (front to back) than
24" and seldom wider than 6 feet. And you can always through a sheet
of 4x8 ply or MDF on a real woodworking bench if needed.

For a first quick and dirty I'd go with 3x6 and put on a face and end
vise.

When you get to making a real woodworking bench - get, and study,
both Scott Landis's book as well as Sam Allen's book on workbenches.

Hope this helps and enjoy woodworking.

charlie b