\PrecisionMachinisT\

Default How straight are drilled holes? Was Need to drill 1" deep .138 hole Thank you!

"Robin S." wrote in message

BTW, you may want to go for parabolic drills. They are made for deep hole
drilling (generally beyond diameter:depth ratio of 1:4 or great, IIRC).
They're more expensive, however, than standard twist drills.

Robin,

Parabolic drills arent particularily accurate as far as maintaining a target
location at depth in my experience.

In fact, I have found exactly the opposite to be true--however, chip
evacuation with parabolic flute drills is indeed superior to any other
design to my knowledge.

As to the original question and in the situation described, I would think
+/- .005 inches location should be easily obtainable under general
conditions, unless someone is a real "KluTz" G as to drilling or
sharpening of a std jobber drill. For a bolt clearance, simply use a drill
that is a 1/16 or 1/32 in. oversized.........

Better yet probably would be to use a stub, or "screw machine"
drill...........I maintain an inventory of these in the common sizes so as
to eliminate the need for center drilling whenever the job/ tolerance will
allow.

Else, as you say--if greater accuracy is needed, a more reliable process
would be to first drill the hole undersize, then bore with single point for
size and location--in a production environment, more economical control of
size can often be had by first pre drilling, then boring for location,
followed by a final reaming operation for size control.

Cheers,

--

SVL