Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Water pressure question

George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:

snip

I guess my question is, does this sound like a problem with the pipes
coming in from the street, or with the pipes in my house? The pipe
from the street is huge, and I can't believe it would be blocked up
that much - it's gotta be eight inches around, and appears in basically
decent shape to me. It does look like it's probably original to the
house, though, or at least very old. Our house is also very close to
the street and most of the pipe itself is contained within our
basement, so it hasn't been exposed to exterior water or tree roots or
anything like that.

snip

I can't believe that the water supply pipe to the
house is 8" in diameter, and I doubt that a main
would run through your basement. But stranger
things happen. The large pipe is probably not a
water supply or main, but a sewer pipe. Your
water supply pipe from the street would likely be
less than 2" in diameter and modern ones are
usually only an 1" or 1-1/4" pipe.

snip

I questioned that too then re-read it. He says 8" -around- which would
make it about a 2" pipe. Still huge for normal house service.

Harry K