Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Workbench - plywood or laminate lumber

On 5 Sep 2006 15:15:43 -0700, "Ben" wrote:

I'm looking at building a woodworking bench for myself and have
familiarised myself with the plans that are sold on the internet. All
the Kits and commercally availiable, ready built benches feature fine
lumber of 3+ inch thickness for the top - be it birch, beech or other.

Since I am operating on a smaller budget, I was wondering what reasons
are there why a sheet of plywwod - 3/4" or 1" oak or birch supported by
doug. fir (4x) lumber would not be used?

What I've seen recommended instead of something like a 4x is a 2x12.
Rip off two pieces from the outside of the board and discard the
middle. This gives you a much better grain orientation for stability.

The problem with putting plywood over it would be different
expansion/contraction than the doug fir under it. You'd be better off
with just a piece of replacable hardboard.

Layers of MDF would give you more mass for less work on the top, but
require more support underneath.

-Leuf