Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Telephone Wiring

According to Pat :

new wrote:
While wiring in a new phone jack I got zapped. I measured 55vots accross
b&y zand R&G pairs.

I eventually went to outside telephone interface and plugged into test jack
and found it coming from phone company.

There is no way this is normal is it?

As others have said, voltage sounds about right. But you shouldn't
feel it under normal circumstances. You will get quite the jolt
sometimes if the phone rings while you are playing witht he wires.

Heh. For reasons I won't go into here, I had to splice a telephone
line while sitting on a concrete floor in our detached garage, and
I was too lazy to sling something non-conductive underneath me.

That _hurt_. Even without ringing. Was unable to grasp/twist
the wire.

The SO could hear me swearing over 100' away in the house.

Finally gave up and sat on a piece of plywood.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est