Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default clogged bathroom sink

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:21:40 -0500, rob wrote:

Looks like most of my interior plumbing is pvc piping and wonder if
its safe to use a little bleach for a bathroom sink to loosen a clog?
It drains but slowly. I'll probably try a plunger first regardless
but I've been meaning to ask if the bleach is safe for interior
plumbing? My house was built in the late 90's if that matters.
thanks.

Bleach is safe on PVC but I doubt it will have much of an effect on a
clogged drain. It will remove stains and bacterial growth. Bleach
can attack metals if left on them too long. The plunger is your best
bet; stuff a wet rag in the overflow before using the plunger. A
bathroom sink is often clogged with hair especially if there is a
household member with long hair. Try dumping a gallon of boiling water
down the drain. Lye will dissolve hair and skin, so use with great
care.