Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chemistry
PV PV is offline

Default quesion about poison and flollow-up on gluing rubber

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to mm :
I don't think sticking my finger in a cup of water would work because
spit etc. seems to work a lot better than plain water. But I wonder
if I'm worrying for nothing, or if this really is bad for me.

It's toxic of course, but if it was sufficiently toxic to be hazardous
in the dosages you'd remotely reasonably be getting, they probably
couldn't
be selling it - even with lots of dire warnings on the label (which
some have anyway).

Indeed, uncured silicone isn't good on your bare hands _either_.

I've done many hundred feet of caulking over a few days recently, some
with silicone, some latex. Nothing beats having lots of rags handy
to continually wipe your hands.

With latex, I've just discovered that a wet/wrung-out rag not only
keeps my hands clean/lubricates fingers for spreading/handy for
picking up/cleaning off blobs from the tip, but you can rinse it
out, and reuse it indefinately.

But that doesn't help much with RTV/silicone, which does seem to
spread much better with saliva. Plain water is fine for latex.

Just have plenty of rags or paper towels and keep your fingers
scrubbed.

A tip I saw the other day was to dip your finger in 3-in-1 oil and run it
along the caulking, makes for a smooth clean seam (haven't tried it myself).

the other tip was not to lick you finger as you introduce bacteria into the
caulk, especially in a bathroom environment, could lead to issues down the
road.

PV