Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default How come rental houses in the suburbs with a few apartments in them usually always cost much way less than if these houses were just a one-family houses?

Chris Tsao wrote:
...so I can do stuff ... Like gating off part of the house so two
African Grey parrots can have lots of room and hardly have to be in a
bird cage, or so I can keep a mountain lion ...

Well, you had best count on being unable to recoup much of your
investment if you ever try to sell the property after such an escapade
then, or budget to completely renovate such a portion as has had such
use down to the bare studs kind of restoration. Animal scents and
damage is amongst the worst of what will detract from potential buyers.

As far as keeping a mountain lion (or any large cat) as a pet or in a
residential neighborhood, I suspect by now there is no municipality
that would allow it and it simply isn't a good idea. I know there are
those who do such stupid things, but that doesn't excuse it or change
the fact that wild cats don't make house pets.

We had a high school senior girl on a field trip in this area mauled
and killed by a supposedly tame white leopard while having picture
taken just last spring. You don't need the grief those folks are now
going through from the legal system (quite justifiably in my view) even
though there was (in this case literal) also a case of terminal stupid
on the part of anybody standing next to a large, supposedly tame, cat
not somehow restrained. Near as I can tell from the accounts, nothing
really happened to precipitate the attack and "it never happened
before" -- well, gee! That's comforting!