Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] dlenski@gmail.com is offline

Default LCD monitor inverter/backlight repair

Andy Cuffe wrote:
The back light inverter is the most common failure on LCD monitors.
Normally you should see +9 to +12 v going to the inverter. You will
also probably see +5 and one other voltage to control brightness.

Thank you, Andy! This is exactly the info I'm looking for. On this
board, the input is most definitely around 14V. The power brick is
labeled 14V/3A as well. Perhaps the 14V is to add a couple diode drops
to the 12V?

Chances are, the inverter is the problem since it usually shares its
power supplies with the LCD. Look for any fuses on the inverter
board. They will probably be small surface mount components near the
12 pin connector. That orange component to the left of the big green
capacitor could be a fuse. There may be some fuses on the bottom of
the board too. If you find any open fuses, there's a good chance that
a new fuse will fix it. About 3/4 of the inverters I see with blown
fuses have no other problems. If a new fuse doesn't fix it, you will
probably need to replace the inverter board. Schematics are rarely
available and parts are impossible to find.
Andy Cuffe

I will look more closely for fuses. Is there any particular label used
for fuses? As in "C3"=capacitor, "R24"=resistor, "U12"=IC?

If I have to replace the inverter, is there anything wrong with using
the ones that come with the cheap case-mod kits? The backlight lamps
certainly do appear to be fried, since they have a dark gray haze
around one electrode that I don't see in any of the photos at
lcdpart.com.

Thanks a lot,
Dan