Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Microwave oven blows main fuse

Dan_Musicant writes:

On 04 Sep 2006 11:01:52 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

:WARNING: Microwave ovens are probably the MOST dangerous consumer appliance or
:electronic equipment to service, and not due to the microwaves.

Yes, I think I'm aware of the danger, and that it's principally that of
being badly shocked, and generally by virtue of the big capacitor. When
I have the cover off I'm always really careful to stay away from that
cap and the wires that go to it. Thanks!

It's worse than the big capacitor, though that's what people also bring up.

That has a chance of killing you but it's not 100 percent since the
worst case stored charge is *only* about 12 Joules or so.

And, yes, it should be discharged before touching anything.

The HV transformer, on the other hand, probably is closer to 100 percent
lethal if you touch it with the power on since there's 2 or 3 thousand
volts at 1/2 AMP or more sustained current available.