Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes Tom Banes is offline

Default DeWalt Planer

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:42:45 -0500, "Ellestad"
wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the DW735 planer?

Had mine for about a year now and it's a nice machine. Posted a
mini-review after I got it, so DAGS to read.

So far it's eaten everything I've thrown at it, pine to ipe, without a
hitch. Minimal snipe, smooth finish on most woods. Heavily figured
curly maple needs a bit of scraping to really smooth it out, but
figured walnut generally comes out clean. Ran some QS white oak this
weekend (about 20 linear feet, 10" wide) and sanding was not really
necessary.

It is loud when running so have your ears on.

I hook it up to the DC with a trash can intermediate, so I can't
comment on running it without, except to say that when my DC hose
slipped off the outlet one time it threw stuff everywhere! Lots of
walnut stuff! I'm still finding pockets of tiny walnut chips in
corners. Power planing generates a lot of chips!

The blades - I'm on the second side of my first set and about ready to
change them out. $50 a year doesn't bother me, but I'm a hobby worker
not a pro counting costs.

I'll try to sharpen the blades after I yank them, just to see if it
can be done. I've got one of those Makita flat platter water stone
turntables with a 1000 grit stone and the blade holding attachment, so
maybe it'll work. Some say yes, some say no, so WTH is the loss in
trying.

Regards.

Tom