Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default workbench dimensions

"Swingman" wrote in
:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
I see that many workbenches are about 24 inches wide. Some are 21
wide. Since I am planning to build one what size is better of is it
simple to

say
"bigger is better" and go with a big as practical?

Keep in mind that the ability to clamp a glue-up from both sides of a
bench, or to a bench on both sides, can be the difference between
success and failure, so don't put too much faith in "bigger is better"
when it comes to workbench widths.

You will be much happier if you can quantify the type of projects you
will normally do and size your workbench accordingly.

Swing's right (again). I use my bench for lots of things, but as a big
clamping assembly, it needs to be the 'right' size. Since much of my work
is largish cabinets and furniture, mine is 30" wide, and works for me. If
I needed a smaller bench, I'd have to build a second one.

Of course, I'd have to have more room in the shop, too.

Patriarch