Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chemistry
mm mm is offline

Default quesion about poison and flollow-up on gluing rubber

How poisonous is RTV silicone sealant (room temperature
vulcanization?)?

When I use this "glue", I lick my fingers to get them wet to smooth
the glue out. Otherwise it looks like a mountain range. I use a
different finger each time, but today I needed more fingers than
usual. And after I used the same finger twice, I could taste the RTV
in my mouth for 10 minutes or more until I could go rinse my mouth
out. Is that bad for me?

I don't think sticking my finger in a cup of water would work because
spit etc. seems to work a lot better than plain water. But I wonder
if I'm worrying for nothing, or if this really is bad for me.

--------
Unless a chemist knows why there is no more black RTV anymore, to the
A.H.R people: I couldn't find Duco or Duro rubber for sale, in a
store or on the net, and I looked on the net for something else black
but so far hadn't found anything. Then I "inherited" three 2 1/2-oz.
tubes of clear RTV silicone sealant so I used that.

I can't find any black RTV anymore and I used to use it a lot. I
can't find GE silicone cement in the 2 to 4 oz. tubes anymore and that
used to come in white, clear, black, and maybe something else. Now
they sell a variety of GOOP, for different uses, but all are "clear".

I found 2 or 3 black things that fit caulking guns, like roofing
caulk, but none were listed both as adhesive and as flexible, like RTV
is.

What's going on?

Is something wrong with black?