Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Venting the attic - powered fan or not?

Himanshu wrote:
Home was built in 1960, located in New Hampshire. One story house
with a gable roof/Hip.

In the summer the temperature difference between the living area and
attic was in the region of 25F-30F, and upto 35F-40F on the hottest
days.
Went up in the attic and found that the ridge vents were OK but soffit
eaves were blocked by the second layer insulation. So I pulled back
the insulation from the edges and inserted "prop-a-vents" along the
sides.
About 2/3 of the work was done while it was still hot and I noticed
that there was a small temperature-difference drop on most days but
on hot days the differential was still 30F or so.

Now I've just finished the rest of the work, but it's not hot enough
to compare the temperature difference -- it's about 17F today on a
cool day. However, it is easier to get contractors to come out and
do work in the attic or on the roof during the cool season So I'm
wondering, should I:

1. Have a roof vent installed - it's just a small, molded, vented
plastic square that goes on the roof and vents air to help the ridge
vents, and will that help on hot days, or

2. Have a power vent installed? The fan itself is not too expensive,
but it would require running a new power circuit to be run up from the
basement to the attic, which will raise the total cost quite a bit.

Opinions?

It sounds like you have done all you should do and your venting system
is working well. I doubt if adding power venting would help anything other
than the bottom line of the vent manufacturer and the electric company.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit