Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Radiation hazards from inefficient microwave oven?

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 05:26:50 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
:JANA wrote:

: It's common that the magnetron starts to go weak after a number of years.
: Also, the main capacitor in the power supply may be starting to fail.
:
:
: That is an oil filled film HV capacitor. When they "Start to fail"
:they don't waste your time. They are generally either good, open, or a
:dead short. All the bad ones I've seen were a dead short, but i had a
:nice pile of good used ones from scrap ovens. A lot of controller boards
:die here in Florida with all of the lightning, so I save the
:transformers, Magnetrons and HV parts. Come to think of it, I've never
:had a new microwave oven, and the most I've paid for one was $2 for one
:with a shorted interlock switch. I have three working units right now
:that were given to me, all in like new condition.

I found a MW oven in the street a few weeks ago and brought it home
thinking it either works or I'll tear it open and salvage the magnets.

It seemed dead, but yesterday I opened it up and the fuse tested dead
(250v, 15amp). I had a 125v 15 amp fuse and putting it in, the oven
appears to work.

Two questions:

1. Can I leave that fuse in there or should I get a 250v 15 amp instead?

2. A MW oven troubleshooting site says:

NOTE: Fuses do not usually blow on their own. A fuse may blow because of
problems with the interlock switches or with high voltage circuitry. It
is also possible, though rare, that a power surge will cause a fuse to
blow.

I have a MW oven I prefer, and figure to store this in my garage for
that day when my current one dies (they always seem to eventually). What
are the interlock switches and can I fix a bad one? Or is it possible I
could fix a high voltage circuitry problem? TIA for some help.

Dan

If it doesnt blow again, fine. If it does, get rid of the cooker. Dont
muck with the interlock stuff unless you properly know what youre
doing, and you dont. The risk versus benefit is not at all worth it. A
wrongly done interlock can cook you, or part of you.

I've read that the very first microwave ovens had no interlock, you
could open the door with them cooking. Basic switches were retrofitted
following injuries.

NT