Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Full sized or Midi / Mini tools for 5" x 3/8" spindles?

On 4 Sep 2006 09:43:03 -0700, "Emily P" wrote:

Hello,

I am a full time woodworker but brand new to woodturning. I am planning
on purchasing a jet mini lathe and I am about to buy my first set of
tools. I was looking at the Henry Taylor mini tools as a possibility.
After doing some reading on the forum to get some recommendations I
noticed that just about everyone seems to recommend going with full
sized tools over midi / mini tools. I am wondering if that is always
the case even if you are only looking to turn small scale objects - no
bowls full sized spindles, etc? I am buying the lathe to do some
production runs of a very specific small scale item for my business -
spindles less 3/8" diameter tapering to 1/16" between 4-7" long with
beads coves etc. These will be crochet hooks and needlework tools. My
question is given what I will be turning would you still advise buying
full sized tools?

Thanks,
Emily

Emily... For your purposes, and assuming that you're new to the lathe but not to
tools, you might start with what most companies call their "pen set"..

Something like this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcpm3.html

It covers the basics and includes an oval skew, which I think is easier to use
than a flat sides/square cornered skew..

Do some practice spindles and have fun making shavings... as you make a few of
your hooks, you'll know if you need other tools and can add then individually or
in sets... (things like beading tools are cheaper in sets unless you only want
one size)

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis