Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default workbench dimensions

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:42:57 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"
wrote:

I see that many workbenches are about 24 inches wide. Some are 21 wide.
Since I am planning to build one what size is better of is it simple to say
"bigger is better" and go with a big as practical?

Just as a point of reference, I'm guessing that what you call wide, I call
deep... as in 6' long and 30" deep?

IMHO, the first 2 considerations for most home woodworkers is space available
for the bench and budget..

Some folks like the bench accessible on both sides, some want the bench against
a wall... depends a lot on space and what you build, I think...

My bench is 72" x 30" and made that size because I thought that having it in the
middle of the garage and accessible from both sides would work well...

In reality, I only work from one side, the side towards my power tools, and the
last 6" or 8" of the other side is just a **** collector... it got so bad that I
had to put a 2x6" on the back to keep stuff from falling off the other side..

In the new shop, knowing my work habits, both benches will be against walls with
cabinets over the back... I know it won't really work, but the fiction is that
if the cabinet makes the bench a bit less deep and I have a handy place to put
things, the bench won't get cluttered... (yeah, right)

OTOH, If my arms were a foot longer, or I did a lot of sheet good work, I might
want a 48" deep table... *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis