Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default Q: Variance in Plywood thickness

Mike Dembroge wrote:

Am I being too fussy, or is this normal? I spend a fair amount of time
setting up the stacked dado set to produce a clean-fitting dado that is not
too sloppy and not so tight that it distorts the material. So, when I make
several cuts and some don't fit, it's a PITA.

Two suggestions:

1.) Don't "fully house" the plywood. For example, cut the dados 1/4" or
3/8" wide and top and bottom rabbet the shelf ends to match. The double
rabbet can be quickly and easily cut using a "tongue" bit in a router.

2.) Try a simple router jig that uses an piece of the actual material to
set the dado width. Leon occasionally posts a drawing to the version he
uses.